[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Shannen-Doherty.net • View topic - Shannen's comment on Scare Tactics

Shannen's comment on Scare Tactics

Come on in and talk about season one and the other eight wonderful episodes of season two that she hosted!

Postby Kristin Marie » Fri Apr 04, 2003 4:09 am

Doherty Embraces Her Reputation
Mon, Mar 31, 2003 02:13 PM PDT

by Jay Bobbin
Zap2it

She isn't living the "Charmed" life any longer, but Shannen Doherty is still involved in scary stuff.

The actress returns to weekly TV as host of -- and occasional participant in -- "Scare Tactics," a half-hour series debuting Friday, April 4, on Sci-Fi Channel. The show sets up unwitting people in elaborately staged situations fully intended to panic them, until they find out the joke is on them. In one segment, Doherty supposedly is kidnapped from a hotel room while interviewing a woman to be her new assistant; in another, a man at a firing range accidentally "kills" Doherty's uncle, played by an actor.

While most hosts of this type of show don't take an active role in the action, Doherty relishes it. "Originally," she explains, "I was hired to do just the wraparounds. The more we did and the more we watched the segments, everyone started thinking, 'This could be really interesting if Shannen got more involved.' They asked me if I would, and I said, 'Yeah.' With the firing range, it was set up that I was an investor in it. Of course, I was thinking, 'There is no way this is what I'd ever spend my money on' -- but hey, it's TV. Whatever."

Doherty got into the spirit of "Scare Tactics" fully by making one of her best friends a victim of the show. "That went tremendously," she reports gleefully. "My friend is a burly guy, very manly. In this particular case, he was the only one who was calm at the start; by the end, he was hysterically screaming, 'Get me out of this car. Let me out.' I showed him the tape recently, and he said, 'I can't believe this is going to air. I'm not going to tell anyone when it's on.'"

As with anyone who sets up somebody for "Scare Tactics," Doherty knows there's a risk of earning the person's wrath once the scare is over. "In all the segments I've been involved in, once everybody realizes what's gone on, they think it's hysterical," she says. "They're really happy to have been brought into it."

One notable exception is a woman who is suing the show's creator-producers, two actors and Sci-Fi Channel over a prank meant to convince her she was under alien attack. According to Doherty, the segment was taped a long time ago, and she thinks filing a suit just weeks before the show's premiere is a bit curious.

"I wasn't there for that one," she says, "but that's a little sad to me. Also, everybody signs releases. This is supposed to be all in good fun, but we're not going to air that segment, which to me is unfortunate. It was by far one of the best pranks we did, but I think we do have to respect a person's privacy when all is said and done."

Doherty calls her "Scare Tactics" role "the easiest, best job anybody could ever have." She finds it an ideal way to be a regular TV presence again without many of the demands she faced on hourlong dramas such as "Charmed" and "Beverly Hills, 90210."

"I didn't necessarily want to do another TV show," she says, "but if I did, it had to be something I could feel connected to really powerfully. At the same time, you want a paycheck coming in. 'Scare Tactics' came up, and I only have to work six days out of the year on it. That's just for the hosting, then I have the option to be involved in the pranks. It leaves me plenty of time to do other things."

Doherty realizes her image of being unpredictable works for "Scare Tactics," but she admits she's not particularly a fan of unscripted shows. "I'm pretty disappointed with network TV right now," she says. "I was flipping through the channels recently, and I came across that show 'I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here' During it, there were commercials for two other reality shows, and all I could think was, 'What is happening here?' Either there is going to be a huge backlash, or everybody's going to start watching channels like HBO and Showtime and TNT."

"I don't really think of 'Scare Tactics' as a reality show," she adds, "in the same way I don't put 'The Jamie Kennedy Experiment' in the reality-show category. Because he's on a network, he can't get away with as much as we can. We're sort of the extreme side of that. As long as nobody's getting hurt and everybody's having a good time doing it, it's something to be proud of. It's also fun to watch."

Since her friends now know what she's up to with "Scare Tactics," Doherty notices many of them being a lot more cautious around her. "I love to go to Las Vegas," she says, "so whenever I say, 'Hey, I'm going to Vegas, anybody want to come?' they're all like, 'No. Absolutely not.' I tell them we're not filming anything, but they still won't go."
Always Dream, no matter where, or when...Dream Big Or Small. Dreams is where the heart is.
Kristin Marie
Global Moderator

Postby Kristin Marie » Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:30 pm

Shannen has her own hairstylest on the show. This person is the obly one that can touch Shannen's hair

Hairstylist

Laurent Dufourg
Always Dream, no matter where, or when...Dream Big Or Small. Dreams is where the heart is.
Kristin Marie
Global Moderator

Postby shaed412 » Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:26 am

IS THAT BECAUSE SHE DEMANDS IT, OR IS THAT JUST THE WAY IT IS? CUZ, I KNOW THAT SOME ACTORS AND ACTRESSES DO HAVE WEIRD THINGS IN THEIR CONTRACTS. THAT LADY IS LUCKY, SHANNEN HAS AMAZING HAIR. GOD BLESS!!!
shaed412
Very Important Shannen Fan

Postby pruephoebepiper2 » Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:25 pm

ot always looks so silky- it shines in the light!
pruephoebepiper2
Major Shannen fan

Postby shannenrulez » Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:55 pm

I know...Shannen has the perfect hair!!! I wish that I could be her hair stlist Image And I also think that they need to put ST on a diffrent night then fridays because I am never home Friday night. Great show...love ya Shannen Image
shannenrulez
New Shannen Fan

Postby Dianna » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:14 pm

Dianna
Site Admin

Postby Kristin Marie » Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:56 am

Take me, take me, Shannen.....TAKE ME! I can go.....well, not really.....because of my heart........ Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Kristin Marie
Global Moderator

Postby lyzi » Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:50 pm

I'm not sure, but maybe this show is already airing here in France.

I've seen the prank where a guy accidently kills Shannen's uncle. It was on our sixth channel ( " M6 "), there is this show named " Serial Piegeurs " (it means something like "serial prankers"). It shows some pranks, in english but dubbed in french. (In fact it is not really dubbed... You still hear the english words, but there a voice-over which do the translation). This prank was in it.

Maybe " serial piegeurs " IS " Scare Tactics ". If it really is, we (french fans) are not that lucky, because, our show is NOT hosted by Shannen Doherty. She will appear sometimes, in her own pranks. But we've got a french hostess, so we won't see her as many times as you lucky english (British + US) guys !

I'm so sad...
Last edited by lyzi on Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lyzi
Shannen Wanna Be

Postby lyzi » Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:17 pm

Okay, I checked both on the " Scare Tactics " website and on our sixth channel website.
Although they don't actually say it, it is now SURE.

" SERIAL PIEGEURS " IS the french version of " SCARE TACTICS ". Dianna and Kristin, could you put this on News, for other french fans ?

Serial Piegeurs is the same emission with the same pranks, etc... Unluckily, the french hostess is Anne-Gaelle Riccio (who I absolutely don't know otherwise) and NOT our beloved Shannen Doherty.

Still, you french fans should watch it for it is funny, and, afterall, Shannen Doherty will appear in some of the pranks.
It's on friday night on M6 channel.
the channel's website :
http://www.m6.fr/html/emissions/serial_piegeur/index.shtml

Donc la même info en français pour les fans français.
La dernière émission de Shannen Doherty " Scare Tactics " (titre original) passe effectivement en France, le vendredi soir sur M6, sous le nom de " Sérial Piégeurs ".
Il s'agit des mêmes gags, en version anglaise avec les traductions faites par dessus en voix-off.
La présentatrice n'est PAS Shannen Doherty, même traduite, mais Anne-Gaëlle Riccio, présentatrice française.
Que ça ne vous empêche pas de regarder l'émission, elle reste drôle et, après tout, Shannen participe elle-même à certains gags, de temps en temps.

Faites passer l'info !

Mr. Shadow
lyzi
Shannen Wanna Be

Postby Dianna » Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:49 am

Hi,

Thank you for informing us. I will have a note up in the news section tomorrow.

Dianna Image
Dianna
Site Admin

Next

Return to Scare Tactics