How do I let someone down?

Are you in need of help? Do you have a question about the boards or something in general? Come inside and post what you need answered!

Postby shannenfan92 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:00 pm

Ok I have a really big dilemma. See my soon to be ex step-dad Image Has started dating again, and I'm so pleased for him that he's happy. His new girlfriend has 4 children, which to be honest I was really jealous about. But I've never met them, I only talk to her 16-year-old son and he calls me his sister. Which is nice and all but I find it uncomfortable Image How can I tell him to back off a little without offending him?
Last edited by shannenfan92 on Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shannenfan92
Major Shannen fan

Postby alwaysastar » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:43 pm

The only way is to tell him straight. If you want to solve the problem for good then tell him it makes you feel uncomfortable and don't like it or tell him that you need your own space at the moment (but that will only solve it for a little while).

I personally would tell him sooner because otherwise you might snap at him later about it if it continues to annoy you, and that won't be good.

Hope this helps x
alwaysastar
Very Important Shannen Fan

Postby shannenfan92 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:04 pm

Thanks a lot, it's not so much annoying it's just argh I have never met him and he seems to think just because my step-dad is dating his Mom that I'm his sister. I thought I had gotten over my jealousy issues, this may be why I am being so bitchy about it. I feel so bad because he's a really nice guy and doesn't mean any harm. Image
shannenfan92
Major Shannen fan

Postby sarahconnor » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:31 am

I say to give it a chance. You haven't met these pother kids, so do that first-you might like them. As for this other kid calling you his sister, he is probably lonely and wants a sister-I bet he admires you which is probably why he refers to you as 'sister'.
sarahconnor

Postby alwaysastar » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:53 am

I disagree, if you can't yet move past the jealousy issue yet then you don't want to start off on the wrong foot so I would keep your distance as much as possible until you can handle the idea. Image

OR straight out tell him, if he is a nice guy, that you know its silly but you feel jealous. Maybe he would understand that or even see a funny side to it. You never know.
alwaysastar

Postby robbie2 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:11 am

Telling him straight seems to be the only way in my opinion, but if you do tell him, let him down as gently as possible
robbie2

Postby alessandraminetti » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:37 am

Mmm. . . Image
alessandraminetti
Shannen Fanatic

Return to Need Help?