Do you have a Bucket List?

This is where you can have a general gossip about anything you want!

Postby laurajaybee » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:46 pm

Ahh, as long as that's not the opening to one of your jokes, I feel warm and fuzzy Imagem Image Image
laurajaybee
Very Important Shannen Fan

Postby lover » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:50 pm

Dustpuppy wrote:Love you long time, baby.

You just used the L word! Image

I honestly don't know if Russian is easier than English because I've never tried. But each time I spoke to russians, they told me it was difficult.

That's not true, Latin languages can be even worse, except for Spanish (and you know I'm a fan). The nouns thing is true, infact, it's even worth in Hebrew.... I'll give you an example- I'm listening would be estoy escuchando in Spanish. In both languages, you don't know if the speaker is a man or a woman when reading this sentence. In Hebrew you can't say ANYTHING, not even this sentence without gender references. If you speak properly, every sentence will turn in your gender.

And actually, the Hebrew language has slavic influences, but it's mostly taken from the Bible. It's only in the past 50 years that we've added Arabic and English words to it, as they sound much more effective.

lover

Postby laurajaybee » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:18 pm

Thtaat's cause he does love me Image It's a good word, you should try it sometime, very relaxing Image Image
laurajaybee

Postby dustpuppy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:59 am

lover wrote:I honestly don't know if Russian is easier than English because I've never tried. But each time I spoke to russians, they told me it was difficult.

That's not true, Latin languages can be even worse, except for Spanish (and you know I'm a fan). The nouns thing is true, infact, it's even worth in Hebrew.... I'll give you an example- I'm listening would be estoy escuchando in Spanish. In both languages, you don't know if the speaker is a man or a woman when reading this sentence. In Hebrew you can't say ANYTHING, not even this sentence without gender references. If you speak properly, every sentence will turn in your gender.

The biggest problem I've had with Russian were learning the alphabet and some of the letter combinations. Zdrastvutseya, for example. Some can be real tongue twisters, until you get used to them. But I've always been pretty good with my tongue. Image

The gender thing isn't really all that hard. In Spanish, you have to deal more with gender being assigned to inanimate objects. A fork is male and a spoon is female... etc. You have to know which objects are male, female or neuter and conjugate the verbs accordingly.

Russian grammar is weird. The words are in different places, in the sentence structure. But the rules are a bit more forgiving. English rules of grammar and punctuation are so convoluted that even Uni profs have trouble with them, at times.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES; NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
dustpuppy
Shannen Fanatic

Postby dustpuppy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:00 am

Inspired.By.Shannen wrote:Thtaat's cause he does love me Image It's a good word, you should try it sometime, very relaxing Image Image

I'll love you all night long, baby. Talk about something that's relaxing... Image
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES; NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
dustpuppy
Shannen Fanatic

Postby lover » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:16 pm

Inspired.By.Shannen wrote:Thtaat's cause he does love me Image It's a good word, you should try it sometime, very relaxing Image Image

Ha. Or not.

Craig, I'm not going to quote you as it's too long. Anyway, I don't think it's just Russian, every language has words and letter combinations that are incredibly hard for foreigners. People who are not native English speakers will always have a trouble with R and especially TH. R seems to be a general problem, as it's literally pronounced differently in any language.

I think the inanimate objects thing applies to most languages I know, including Hebrew, English is the only language I've heard of that couldn't be bothered and decided to call everything "it". The worst is when they mix things. If an object ends with an O in Spanish, it's mostly male. However, there are a few objects that end with it and are actually female, or objects that end with A and are actually male. However, my worst problem is with the accents, I never know where to put them!

Haha, I know, same in Hebrew- big boy, for example, would be "boy big". Trust me, you manage to make the switch after a while. I had a whole course of translation, if you like these things as much as I do, I think you would have liked it.
lover

Postby dustpuppy » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:55 am

lover wrote:People who are not native English speakers will always have a trouble with R and especially TH. R seems to be a general problem, as it's literally pronounced differently in any language.

The "R" and "TH" would seem to be the least of your worries, when learning English.

Our spelling could have been developed by a brain damaged, dyslexic monkey, while tripping on LSD.

Actually, the monkey could have done a better job.

On top of that, our people not only refuse to update our language, they actively prevent it from evolving naturally.
dustpuppy
Shannen Fanatic

Postby laurajaybee » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:52 pm

Dustpuppy wrote:I'll love you all night long, baby. Talk about something that's relaxing... Image

Hmm. So it was a joke. I'm telling Shully on you Image Image
laurajaybee

Postby dustpuppy » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:55 am

Inspired.By.Shannen wrote:Hmm. So it was a joke. I'm telling Shully on you Image Image

More like an offer, actually. Image
dustpuppy
Shannen Fanatic

Postby laurajaybee » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:27 pm

Is it one I can't refuse?
laurajaybee

PreviousNext

Return to Coffee House