[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Shannen-Doherty.net • View topic - Am I heartless?

Am I heartless?

This is where you can have a general gossip about anything you want!

Am I heartless?

Postby anja » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:19 pm

[edited]
Last edited by anja on Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anja
Major Shannen fan

Am I heartless?

Postby shando1525 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:38 pm

Hi Anja,

You are not heartless because of that, but some things just don't touch some people. Sometimes, something terrible can happen, but it can happen that a person is totally not interested in it and it just doesn't bother them. It depends on the point of view. FOr example, when Natasha Richardson died, here in Quebec, in April, I tought it was so terrible and I couldn't stop thinking about it, and one of my friends was like, I don't care. The way she saw it is that it was Natasha's fault because she wasn't wearing a helmet and refused to be seen by a doctor, but to me it is a very tragic thing.

It is possible that you are not touched by what happened over there, especially since this tragedy happened a VERY long time ago and there is nothing we can change to that.
shando1525
New Shannen Fan

Am I heartless?

Postby lover » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:29 pm

I don't think you're heartless, no. I think your government and media have been feeding you with anti Israeli politics, and whether you like it or not, it shows. Lol, nah, I don't actually think that but it could be. I think that being who you are, there's nothing that connects you to these places. I'm pretty sure that if I were to visit a camp in Norway, I wouldn't feel much either. I don't think you're responsible for it, some feel it more than others and some, especially those who have nothing to do with it or haven't been through any kind of racial discrimination, would feel nothing at all. It makes perfect sense, don't worry about it. And I'm Jewish and Israeli who can't even watch films about the Holocaust, so trust me- you have nothing to feel guilty about.
lover
Very Important Shannen Fan

Am I heartless?

Postby shando1525 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:35 pm

shando1525
New Shannen Fan

Am I heartless?

Postby dustpuppy » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:56 am

First off, those damned camps are in such a state of ruin that you'd never guess what they were, without a tour guide to tell you.Also, this all happened before your parents were born. Kind of hard to relate to a bunch of ruins with which you have no connection.

I'm rather outspoken about the way the American Indians were treated in our country. It's something that really pisses me off. That doesn't mean that I'm gonna get all weepy every time I step foot on a reservation. I'm also a bit outspoken about the Inquisitions and witch hunts. Not going to get all weepy if I visit the House of the Seven Gables, though. (House of the Seven Gables is often related to the American witch hunts in Salem.)

I think that a lot of the people who seem to get all emotional about these things are just putting on a show. Some actually feel it, I'm sure. But I'd bet that for most, it's pure affectation.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES; NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
dustpuppy
Shannen Fanatic

Am I heartless?

Postby anja » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:17 pm

[edited]
Last edited by anja on Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anja
Major Shannen fan

Am I heartless?

Postby shannifan » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:22 pm

I think that maybe our "problem" is that we weren´t there when it happened! I know how terrible that was, sure, but when I was in Dora, I dodn´t feel that concerned because it was nothing about me or my near relatives! I thought god so many people died here, but I didn´t feel like some other would! I could clearly imagine an old woman crying when she sees pictures of these concentration camps, but I couldn´t cry because of this! It makes me sad to know that such things happened in the past but I really couldn´t cry!
You´re really not heartless, it´s just a big difference between people who were directly affected and the ones who are not! Or am I wrong with this? Please tell me if you think otherwise, but that´s my opinion!
shannifan

Am I heartless?

Postby lover » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:30 pm

Actually, you're completely right. We don't need to feel bad for the world's pain, there's so much pain and injustice in the world, that one just can't hurt for it all. We all have our own problems and problems within our own country in our present. We're not Jesus and we shouldn't carry the weight of the world on our shoulders Image.
lover

Am I heartless?

Postby zohz » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:54 am

Yeah - I visited a concentration camp in Germany...

It actually changed my life, the way the guide explained everything...I remember when I left the tour, the camp, I just felt so relieved that I could go and have freedom and a happy life, because it sounded absolutely horrific! Although, I also felt like it was worth photographing, and I did take some photographs (I'm a professional Photographer), I mean it's a piece of history so there is definitely something there worth photographing!

I did feel quite deeply for what had happened in there.

Well...about being heartless, I think you didn't have a good Guide? Or maybe you were just numb and protecting yourself from thinking about it/ feeling about it? I think it would be kind of impossible to feel nothing, not even sympathy? But don't worry, it's not like u agreed with what happened in there, so you can't be heartless. With age and experience, you learn to empathize much more, and I think this will come in time!

Don't worry about it, and I hope you respect the honesty in my opinion!

X
zohz
New Shannen Fan

Next

Return to Coffee House