Inspirations

This is where you can have a general gossip about anything you want!

Inspirations

Postby lover » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:57 pm

Hey guys, sorry for the length but thought I'd share this with you. I was taking a course about a famos Israeli author (Orly Castel Bloom, in case you're interested) and our professor is close friends with her. I don't like Israeli writers, as it's so political and Jewish it can drive me up the wall when I just want to read a book, but she's an exception. Although she does talk about it, she's very updated and she's into Post Modernism- hence no basic story line, no founded ending, a lot of disconnected things and very extreme, funny texts (not usually my style, I just think the humour does the trick with me). She grew on me and I started reading her texts and liking her. Anyway, today was our last lesson for the semester, so the professor brought the author with her to answer some of our questions.

We talked and someone asked her what made her want to become an author... From that moment on it became very personal and she actually told us her life story and I think we all saw she was basically falling apart (I asked one of my favourite professors there, who confirmed it to me). It amazed me because you'd hardly see it in her books, it seems like she doesn't take herself too seriously. Anyways, we asked questions, she replied with more and more personal details all the time (we were merely asking about writing and her books!), so it was like a therapy session.

I actually went and talked to her... Naturally, because Murphy loves me, my mobile rang and I excused myself to put it on silent. She thought I was going to get that call and just went away and I barely got to talk to her! Grrr! Anyway, she teaches at the Uni (not me though) and obviously they don't publish ways to contact her, as she's famous.

Basically- I was pretty blown away because I think she is a true inspiration. So after that LONG column, I just wanted to ask whether you guys ever had an author/ book or a teacher that truly inspired you and how. And I don't mean books or teachers you just like!

P.S and totally random- I found out I could detect personality disorders, yay me, I'll be a shrink someday! (I'd rather die!! Image)
Last edited by lover on Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lover
Very Important Shannen Fan

Inspirations

Postby shannenzbitch » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:04 pm

Wow hun, that's awesome that you got to meet and talk with her. She must be going through a hard time to share such personal details with you all. Image Unfortunately, a lot of artists - whether they be writers, painters, musicians, etc - cultivate their crafts through their own experiences and often those experiences effect them profoundly, whether in a positive or negative light.

I had a teacher last year for intro to creative writing. I liked her straight away, but I after reading her novel, I was truly inspired. Image

*squishy hugs*
shannenzbitch
Very Important Shannen Fan

Return to Coffee House