[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Shannen-Doherty.net • View topic - Buffy: The Vampire Slayer (2012)

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer (2012)

This is where you can have a general gossip about anything you want!

Postby triquetra » Sat May 30, 2009 5:21 pm

Yes, she will. I have to give her some bad news... if she hadn't heard already. Read the following:

Here's the latest, and strangest, reboot news of recent weeks: Buffy the Vampire Slayer is being slated for a new feature film – set outside the Buffyverse created by Joss Whedon, and (so far) without Whedon's involvement, says The Hollywood Reporter.

The new project involves Fran Rubel Kuzui, who bought the rights from Whedon and directed the original 1992 film (starring Kristy Swanson) based on his screenplay. Kuzui is working with her husband, Kaz Kuzui, and producers Roy Lee and Doug Davison. The project has not yet landed at a studio. Kuzui indicated that they've been fielding offers for sequels and other exploitation of the property for years, and Lee's interest in taking Buffy in "a new direction" appealed to her.

The Kuzuis were both executive producers on the two spin-off TV series, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel, but this is mostly because they retained the rights to the concept; their creative involvement in the two series was minimal. Outside Buffy-related endeavors, their best-known efforts include the Trey Parker comedy Orgazmo (1997) and Tokyo Pop (1988).

The film is being billed as a reboot, rather than a sequel, and speculation is that it will utilize the one-slayer-for-every-generation concept to update and darken the story and bring in new characters. The movie apparently will not feature characters created for the TV series, including Angel, Giles, Xander, Willow, or Spike, and for that matter may not involve Buffy, if the story is based around a new slayer altogether.

It's not just the characters that would be missing, though. The whole feel of the Buffyverse was developed in the series, not in the (fairly trivial) movie. Buffy-the-concept became something in that first season, and really only in the brilliant season 1 finale, "Prophecy Girl" (the first aired episode to be both written and directed by Whedon). The series made Buffy something new, something considerably beyond the core concept of the original film.

In any event, interest in Buffy at this point is based entirely on the two series, so rebooting the now-forgotten movie seems like a very peculiar idea. Considering that Kuzui and Whedon were not in agreement about how to realize the material, and that Whedon's vision was vindicated in a TV series that was much more successful and popular than the film (which was not well reviewed), it's hard to see who would back Kuzui's reboot or why – especially if Whedon, who remains very active in Buffydom via the series of bestselling comics, remains excluded.

Fans are already trying to shout this movie down, and with good reason. If it does ever make it to the screen, it'll have a hard row to hoe in getting Buffy fans to go see it

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (2012) op IMDb:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1444302/
Last edited by triquetra on Sat May 30, 2009 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
triquetra
Very Important Shannen Fan

Postby thefifthsister » Sat May 30, 2009 5:35 pm

I had already heard and I am boycotting it!

*hugs*

xoxoxo Image
thefifthsister

Postby thefifthsister » Sat May 30, 2009 5:44 pm

I don't see how they can have a Buffy movie without Buffy. They didn't get the point of the original story (which was released as a book and was way better than the first movie!) and I just don't think re-doing Buffy now is going to accomplish anything.

The original cast have all expressed interest in doing a movie... so why leave them out? Everything is being remade at the minute and I'm getting sick of there being very little originality

*hugs*

xoxoxo Image
Last edited by thefifthsister on Sat May 30, 2009 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thefifthsister

Postby shannenzbitch » Sat May 30, 2009 5:45 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

and also

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

This CANNOT happen!! I just won't allow it and neither will Lauren! Image Why did Joss ever sell the rights to Buffy??! That has got to be the worst move ever. That is devastating, I was so excited about the REAL Buffy hitting the big screen in the future and that has just killed all my dreams. Image Image Image I'm going to gather up my Buffy figurines, bobble heads, books, comics, cards, t-shirts and whatever else I'm forgetting to mention and hug all of it whilst watching Buffy. Image
shannenzbitch

Postby thefifthsister » Sat May 30, 2009 5:48 pm

They have rights to Buffy because of their involvement with the original movie. All the producers on that movie were producers on the show because they owned a percentage of the rights.

I can't believe they never approached Joss but I think they don't want him to get involved. There's a lot of outrage from Buffy and Joss fans over this!

*hugs*

xoxoxo Image
thefifthsister

Postby triquetra » Sat May 30, 2009 5:53 pm

This is what Joss said about the movie:
[b]"I hope it's cool.{/b]
Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
triquetra

Postby shannenzbitch » Sat May 30, 2009 5:53 pm

shannenzbitch

Postby shannenzbitch » Sat May 30, 2009 5:54 pm

shannenzbitch

Postby thefifthsister » Sat May 30, 2009 5:56 pm

I know. And at the reunion most of the cast said that they'd do a movie if Joss were to approach him. He's got Dollhouse on at the moment but seriously, why not ask him? Fans are outraged because of how the original turned out.

*hugs*

xoxoxo Image
thefifthsister

Next

Return to Coffee House