need computer help

Are you in need of help? Do you have a question about the boards or something in general? Come inside and post what you need answered!

need computer help

Postby dustpuppy » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:46 am

My best guess is that your sound card has taken a crap. Image

Try to uninstall the card and reinstall it. If it won't detect the card, delete the MusC audio and try again.

If the card re-installs but still doesn't work try to delete that MusC audio entry, then try to install the driver again.

If the card won't re-install after you delete the MusCAudio entry, your sound card is probably blown.

That's all I got left. Chuck may have something else to suggest, if none of that works. Otherwise it's prolly gonna take a new card to fix the thing.

Just a thought:
If this is a desktop machine, you could ask around at school. If you can find some of the geeky gamer types, most of them will have an extra sound card from where they've upgraded to the latest and greatest card of the week. They might give you the old one or give you a really cheap price. I get half my parts that way.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES; NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
dustpuppy
Shannen Fanatic

need computer help

Postby marissalu415 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:27 pm

Dustpuppy, I tried all of those things and it still doesn't work. Image And it's actually a laptop, not a desktop.

Chuckles, how do I do that?
marissalu415
Very Important Shannen Fan

need computer help

Postby dustpuppy » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:49 pm

He's talking about those other 9 entries in that list.

All those LitexMedia ones. Go down the list, right click and hit uninstall on each one.

Actually, now that he's brought it up, having 9 copies of the same entry is a bit suspicious.

When you un-installed the sound card, did windows let you re-install it ?

Can you recall the name of that smart audio thing that you installed ?

Is this an HP notebook ?

I've got one other idea, if Chuck's doesn't work.

Try to remember the date when you did the update. Then go to the system restore program where you created that restore point. When the little box comes up select the option that says "Restore computer to an earlier time". It will then show you a calender. Some of the dates on the Calender will be in bold. Those are restore points. Select the last date that's in bold, that comes before the date you did the updates.

That should put your machine back to where you started, before you updated it. Reboot and try your sound.

If you have sound at that point, then you can try to do the updates again.

This time see if you can choose which updates to install. If so, try to only get the ones you HAVE to have and avoid any that have anything to do with sound or audio.

If the rollback doesn't get your sound back, I'm back to thinking the sound card is shot.

What you said about the way iTunes acted makes me think it's software, though. If it was the card, the song should have looked like it was playing, even though it made no sound... I think.

It used to be a bit pricey to have something like a sound card replaced in a laptop, so I'm making you jump through hoops, here, trying every other option I can think of.

If the rollback fixes the sound, but the updates kill it again, we'll try to find a way to get you connected at the Uni, without the updates.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES; NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
dustpuppy
Shannen Fanatic

need computer help

Postby marissalu415 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:55 am

Dustpuppy, thank you so much for all your help!!

yes the soundcard reinstalled.

I don't remember the name of that smart audio thing. Image

it's an HP laptop, yes.

I'm heading out now, but I will try those things when I get back. I'm actually going shopping tomorrow so i'm thinking about taking it to best buy, but I'm not sure how much it will cost / I don't know if I have an insurance plan or anything.

marissalu415

need computer help

Postby dustpuppy » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:51 am

Heh

It's almost blasphemy, to me, to take a puter to the shop. Image

And ya might want to save the thank you 'til we actually achieve some results. LOL

But, you're welcome, anyway. Image
dustpuppy
Shannen Fanatic

need computer help

Postby marissalu415 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:06 am

IT WORKS!!! Image I uninstalled all of those driver things, and I was going to restart my computer and reinstall them, but when I restarted it the sound was there. Image Is that bad btw that all those things are uninstalled?

Anyway thank you! Image
marissalu415

need computer help

Postby dustpuppy » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:31 am

Don't mess with success. If something isn't working, you can reinstall some or all of them, later.

My guess is that you might have needed one of them, for something and that update created the other eight and they were too busy fighting each other to do anything useful.

The silly thing is supposed to throw up a flag, in the form of that yellow triangle with an exclamation point in it, that I mentioned before. There should have been one over every one of those entries. Image

Ya might want to play with it a bit and make sure every thing is working, then go back and set another restore point. It's a good idea to set one up just before you do any update or install anything major, FYI.
dustpuppy
Shannen Fanatic

Previous

Return to Need Help?