Tori talks Brenda-Donna reunion

Talk here about the second version of 90210

Postby dearprudence » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:25 am

Tori Spelling's return to 90210 (Tuesdays, 9 pm/ET, CW) gave the fledgling teen drama a nice uptick in the ratings. But it also gave the fans an unexpected epilogue to the romantic storyline of Donna and David: They live in Japan, have a baby girl, Ruby, and — gasp! — they're separated! In this Tuesday's episode, Spelling returns to paint the town red with Kelly Taylor (Jennie Garth), but wait until you see where they end up! Spelling tells us how she and the producers devised the storyline, what her late father would think of the new series, and whether we'll see a Brenda-Kelly-Donna reunion in future episodes.

TVGuide.com: So when the producers contacted you, did they present you with a story idea? Did you present it to them? Or was it collaborative?
Tori Spelling: It was completely collaborative. They had ideas. We kind of swapped back and forth. I told them it was important to me that Donna was still in fashion. Last we left her, she had a boutique, and now where is she? Has she gone further in her career? They had an idea for her to be in Europe, like London, being a fashion designer. I was like, "That's cool, but what if we mix it up a bit and make it Japan?" So they said, "Great."

TVGuide.com: How did you learn the Japanese in the script?
Spelling: I studied it, and there was someone on the set who was fluent who helped me do it justice. At one point, I was, like, they suggested London and I had to say, "Oh, let's do Japan," and now I'm paying for it by having to speak in Japanese — ha-ha.

TVGuide.com: How did you feel about the news that Donna and David are separated?
Spelling: It was scary at first, but I was actually open to it, just because everything's always neatly tied up in movies, and that's not the way life is. They're not divorced; they're simply separated, so there's always hope. I didn't want to devastate the fans. But there was an interesting storyline there. What happens when high school sweethearts get married very young, and they've been together and have only known each other and then all of a sudden their careers take off? Donna has been working, and they have kids, and sometimes your lives go in different directions. That was interesting to me.

TVGuide.com: Anyone in particular from the old cast that you'd like to see come back? Or that you'd like to work with again?
Spelling: I can only go by my storyline, and I know that the fans were shocked that Donna and David are separated, so whether or not that pans out, I'm sure they would like to see David [Brian Austin Green] come back and have them resolve it.

TVGuide.com: Have you spoken to Brian about coming back?
Spelling: I have not, no.

TVGuide.com: Tell me about working with the new cast. The ones I've spoken with were all very excited to have "the alums" come back.
Spelling: It was great. I didn't have much to do with the whole cast. But they were all really nice, and they all seem to get along, which I was like, "Yay, that's awesome." It's hard to have a group of young, beautiful people all together and not have some drama. It was a really positive experience.

TVGuide.com: How do you think the new 90210 is different?
Spelling: I knew that for it to work you couldn't compare the two; it had to be its own show, with just a few fallbacks to the old show, which would be us. And I think they've done a good job of balancing that. ... I think it's definitely progressed with what's going on with teens presently. It's completely reflective. It's definitely a little more daring and a little more risqué, but that's pretty keeping in tune with how teens are nowadays.

TVGuide.com: What do you think your dad would think of the new 90210?
Spelling: I think he'd be really proud. He always hoped to do a remake. He always said, "I want to do 90210: The Next Generation." So right now, he's like: "Cool. Mission accomplished."

TVGuide.com: I've heard that Tuesday's episode is pretty funny. Tell me about it.
Spelling: It's true Kelly-Donna high-jinks, getting themselves in trouble again. They're mistaken for a gay couple. They're like, "Hey, we don't go out any more. Where's the cool place?" And someone mistakenly sends them to a gay bar. It's pretty funny.

TVGuide.com: Any idea when you'll be back on the show?
Spelling: Not currently, but I'm excited to return. We left the storyline open, and I would love to explore what's going on in Donna's life more. I would love to come back next season.

TVGuide.com: Any chance we'll see a Brenda-Kelly-Donna reunion in our future?
Spelling: I think the fans would love it, so I hope there will be.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/90210-Tori-Spelling-1005263.aspx
dearprudence
Very Important Shannen Fan

Postby dying2live » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:17 am

Cool, thanks for posting. I've never been a big Tori fan but this interview was interesting. I like how she said that she's okay with the whole situation between Donna and David at the moment, as if to show that relationships can definitely be hard, no matter how perfect two people are together. I really do hope that they end up staying together though! Although I'm sure they will...

And I really just can't wait until Shannen makes another appearance Image
dying2live
Major Shannen fan

Postby triquetra » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:24 am

Like Tori said, I wouldn't mind Brian coming back...
Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
triquetra

Postby Prudence#1 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:00 pm

I could definitly see a Kelly-Brenda-Donna reunion, that would be so much fun seeing the three of them together again. And I wouldnt mind seeing David also, and Brandon, but right now I mostly want David to appear.
Thanks *Zetti* for my avartar

A dream is not a dream if you dont believe in it.
Prudence#1

Postby Sarah-Lucy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:13 pm

thanks for posting. i cant see brenda and donna doing any scenes together really, if they do that would be fantastic and give the show a ratings boost. Image
Sarah-Lucy

Postby keisha » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:55 pm

THanks for posting, I hope Dvid will coming back in the furture and want D&D stay together.

I want to see Kelly-Donna-Brenda reuion. i love them as friends forever
keisha
Shannen Wanna Be

Postby dying2live » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:29 pm

I'd love to see an entire cast reunion, members from the Brenda seasons and members from the after-Brenda seasons...

Brenda, Kelly, Donna, David, Andrea, Brandon, Dylan, Steve, Janet, Valerie, and Gina (cuz I really liked her)...etc

That'd be awesome Image
dying2live
Major Shannen fan

Postby ferociouskitty » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:12 am

Now is this NOT the same woman who was complaining about salary differences and then REFUSED to be in any scenes with Shannen? It sounds like someone better take a good look in the mirror and find out what her actual story is on this. I think that's nice about Aaron but still, this is just a little over the top with the constant changes in story for Tori. Image
ferociouskitty

Postby joanhs » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:44 pm

Yeah a kelly-Donna-Brenda Reunion, and I would not ask for more. I already feel spoiled Image

But if they should stp the references to the old show with a bang, they should have all the old cast for 1 last time together and that would be it. And please let Brenda and dylan go together
joanhs
New Shannen Fan

Postby ferociouskitty » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:43 am

I think they're tied up that storyline for good. Dylan and Bren will more unlikely never be appearing together and considering Luke has ZERO plans of returning, I don't see it changing.
ferociouskitty

Next

Return to Beverly Hills 90210 2.0