[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Shannen-Doherty.net • View topic - New boss lady talks Dustin's dismissal and vets

New boss lady talks Dustin's dismissal and vets

Talk here about the second version of 90210

Postby dearprudence » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:19 am

Changes are coming to “90210” ...and let's be honest, that's probably a good thing. The show is watchable, sure, but it certainly doesn't posses the draw its predecessor did.

Rebecca Rand Kirshner Sinclair (“Buffy the Vampire Slayer,” “Gilmore Girls,” “Las Vegas”), who recently took the reins from exec producers Jeff Judah and Gabe Sachs, was brought in to address the series' various problems. Right off the bat, she made some big decisions, the most controversial being the dismissal of leading man Dustin Milligan.

The move made waves among fans and sparked much curiousity. And when Kirshner Sinclair was later quoted saying that she wants to stop using veteran characters like Kelly Taylor and Brenda Walsh in order to refocus the series on the new kids, she really caught viewers' attention.

So, what exactly does Kirshner Sinclair want the new "90210" to look like, sound like and feel like? KTV correspondent Marisa Roffman tracked the show runner down to find out...

As a fan of the original series, I have to ask, did you watch “Beverly Hills, 90210”?
R: Yeah, that was my era. I grew up with those girls [from the original show]. What they wore to their prom was the same thing I wore to mine. It was that black, sleek dress with a giant white bow over the shoulders. And there was this whole plot of how [Kelly and Brenda] both wore [the same dress], and I had already gotten it first, so [when it aired] I was like, oh my God, that’s my dress! And some girl at my school wore it as well.

So you had your own Brenda and Kelly dress fiasco at your prom! Will your familiarity with the original series impact how you run “90210”?
R: Yeah. [“Beverly Hills, 90210”] was a zeitgeist when I was growing up. I’m honored to pay homage to that show, but what I’m excited about is when fans can almost forget there was an old show and [“90210”] feels like a new thing that really reflects the zeitgeist now. There was some magic when [the original] started and it really struck a nerve, and I can’t even begin to analyze how that came about, but [for this show], I’d like to begin by writing about real teenagers and a real world.

Fans were shocked when news broke that Dustin Milligan (Ethan) won't be returning next year. Can you talk about the reasons behind cutting Ethan?
R: I honestly think Dustin is such a good actor and such a lovely person. He is incredibly smart and perceptive and I loved working with him. At the end of the year [when I joined the show], I was really encouraging a dialogue between the writers and the actors and he was somebody who took me up on that. He was so thoughtful and careful about his ideas, and I was really impressed. So in my mind, it wasn’t about not liking Dustin, but [about] the character of Ethan. I felt [Ethan] didn’t allow me the freedom that I wanted. I really wanted a range between the characters and I didn’t feel like I could do with that character what I wanted to do with one of my core people. I think Dustin is amazing and he’ll do great. I was very honored to work with him, but he won’t be back.

Will Dustin ever show up in a season 2 episode to wrap up his storyline?
R: I’m not absolutely sure, but I don’t think so.

Do you have plans to add any characters in the near future?
R: I’d love to! There’s a range of teenagers I’d love to see. I’d love to see a surfer girl. I’d love to see a tennis player guy. I want to bring in the sunshine and sexiness of LA and balance our mix and allow our kids to find who they are.

It’s been reported that you are planning on cutting the vets from the original series in the future. Does that mean Jennie Garth (Kelly) won’t be recurring next season?
R: I honestly feel that interview might not have reflected my real feelings [on the topic]. I’m not interested in casting people just for stunt value. I’m not interested in looking at it like, oh my God, that’s Madonna walking across the screen. If Madonna wants to play someone’s mom at the school, that’s fabulous. To me, I really care about the new generation of kids, that’s where my heart is, but I think all those people [from the original series], it’s been an honor to work with them and I’m open to any of them [returning]. I just don’t want to do it for stunt value or shock value. But that doesn’t mean I don’t want to [use the vets again]. If someone falls into the world, I’m all for that.

So Kelly’s sticking around?
R: Yeah. You’ll see more of Kelly for sure.

I know the show has gone through changes over the season, but it seems like some storylines have been brought up and then never addressed again, i.e. Harry’s missing son. Do you have any plans to revisit that?
R: Anything is possible, but I don't think my goal will be to answer every question, but rather to set forth a new drama. That’s not to say some of the [unanswered] stuff isn’t [important] -- everything will have to be judged specifically -- but I think there may be some leaps in that this is a new incarnation and a new thing.

Is there anything you can tease to for the finale?
R: A lot of drama goes down. It’s the end of the school year, it’s the end of the season. Some decisions are made that will change a lot. People make some really bad decisions, people open up their hearts and, for one character, there is something [that happens which] is the straw that breaks the camel’s back. People are becoming who they could be [in the future]. There is some real growth and evolution in the characters as a result of the events that happen at the end of season one.

http://blog.zap2it.com/korbitv/2009/04/90210s-new-boss-lady-talks.html
dearprudence
Very Important Shannen Fan

Postby dying2live » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:21 am

Poor Dustin Image that really is very unfortunate, especially since she said he most likely won't be returning next season...
dying2live
Major Shannen fan

Postby triquetra » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:19 am

Him leaving the show doesn't mean that we won't EVER see him again... he might return in another season. Maybe Season 3... or 4?

And a surfer girl? Dylan, anyone? Image

For the rest, I'm glad we'll see Kelly again. I like her. And besides, Erin needs her sister right now... and her (sober) mother. Jackie, what happened?!
Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
triquetra

Postby Prudence#1 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:56 pm

I am glad to hear that Kelly will be back, and that others from the original may appear to in season 2, so then I can watch it.
Thanks *Zetti* for my avartar

A dream is not a dream if you dont believe in it.
Prudence#1

Postby dying2live » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:40 pm

dying2live
Major Shannen fan

Postby keisha » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:57 pm

thanks. Image
keisha
Shannen Wanna Be

Postby ferociouskitty » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:22 am

I'm glad that she's not completely dismissing the vets but I still do not think that Ethan is a character that she couldn't do things with. She already has and obviously she can do more then. Personally I think it's almost an insult to Dustin Milligan.
ferociouskitty

Postby dying2live » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:32 am

dying2live
Major Shannen fan

Postby ferociouskitty » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:50 am

Nope and it's ridiculous because they have so much to work with. This whole 'finding myself' storyline is probably the most creative thing I've seen all season. I would say the bi-polar was rather clever as well but guess what? IT'S ALREADY BEEN DONE WITH THE ORIGINAL. For someone who seemed so awfully confident, she sure isn't doing too damn good of a job now is she?
ferociouskitty

Return to Beverly Hills 90210 2.0