Jennie talks to NYP

Talk here about the second version of 90210

Jennie talks to NYP

Postby dearprudence » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:31 pm

If you're like me, "90210" wasn't any show - it was the show. It represented your youth - you tried the trends (sideburns are hard for prepubescent teens), listened to the bands ("Vaseline" by Flaming Lips!) and absorbed every irrelevant piece of information about Kelly, Brenda, Brandon, Dylan, Steve and Donna there was to know.

Like me, you followed Kelly to "Melrose Place" -- and subsequently Amanda Woodward to "Models, Inc" -- and cried as she was trapped in a fire, chewed nails to the nubs when Tara held held her hostage and tsk tsked as she dabbled in drugs with Colin (swoon!).

So, as you can imagine, I had to suppress every fan urge when my phone rang and I was told, "Hi Jarett, this is Jennie Garth -- I'm so sorry for calling you late." OMG, so nice right from the jump. We were scheduled to chat about Kelly Taylor's return on tonight's "90210" as she had been off visiting her babydaddy Dylan. A revelation I was dying to know her feelings on.

Pop Wrap: I'm sure initially deciding whether or not to return to "90210" was the tougher decision, but what convinced you to re-return for more episodes?
Jennie Garth: Well, the show is doing well and I had a lovely time doing it. Plus, it's an easy job for me scheduling wise -- it works with my family. And I think this sounds so corny, but the fans like to see someone from the original. They like that tie-in and everyone's first response to me was, "I love seeing you on the show," so I thought, why not - it's an easy job, a good paycheck and people love it - how can I lose?

PW: So in a way, you're doing this for the fans?
Jennie: That was one of the major reasons I wanted to come back, because the original fans were so devout for 10 years - actually longer than that since they watch reruns. And I'm a loyal person, too, I've had the same manager since I started in this business - it's just something in who I am.

PW: How long are you open to playing Kelly Taylor?
Jennie: I always say that as long as the show stays good, my storylines appeal to me and to the fans - you know, as long as the show works on every level. If they came to me and wanted me to work four days a week, I couldn't do that. If they came to me and presented a storyline I didn't love, I'd say no thanks. I can walk away at any minute because I have my family and I'm very needed there, so it's not like, "I'll never work again!" But if things keep lining up, I'll stay.

PW: How much of a say do you have a say in Kelly's path?
Jennie: I have a lot of say. Just the other day a writer asked me what I wanted to do with Kelly - my first reaction was fear because she had no idea what they were doing! So I said, 'lemme give it some thought,' because that's what we initially did, my husband - [actor Peter Facinelli] - came up with some ideas like making her a guidance counselor and having a son. We didn't know who the father would be but I thought it would make her a deeper and more involved woman. So I know that I'll come up with something great and the writers will come up with something great and we'll meet in the middle.

PW: Did you think Dylan would turn out to be the father?
Jennie: I was just as surprised as the viewers - and I don't even know if Luke knows. We've talked, but we don't talk about business, but I'm sure he was surprised too. I think it's right, I think that's what the fans wanted the writers to do.

PW: But Luke has been vocal about not wanting to return, right?
Jennie: There are some people from the cast that don't want to go back to the characters that made them famous - and that's totally fine. But the writers wanted Kelly to go [visit Dylan] and wrap it all up with a pretty red bow, off camera. I didn't want to do that. I thought that the fans, who were so excited to have her go visit Dylan, would be so disappointed that it ended like that. I said, if the time comes when Luke's schedule opens up it needs to be resolved on camera. Let that play out so people can see it, because they have been waiting for it.

dearprudence
Very Important Shannen Fan

Jennie talks to NYP

Postby dearprudence » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:31 pm

PW: So Kelly's trip to see Dylan didn't go well?
Jennie: She comes back and I'm still unclear. The trip went OK but it didn't answer any questions for Kelly. Now she's open to a new life without Dylan and that's the biggest sign that their time together didn't go as well as hoped. She comes back with an openness to other men and is trying to put Dylan behind her - but he's not completely history for her.

Keep reading to get all the scoop on what Jennie thinks about Shannen Doherty, rumors her co-stars are too thin and the clothes she wore on the original!

PW: Personally, I love Kelly and Brenda's scenes - was there any discussion, pre-"90210" reboot - of having Christmas specials or reunion episodes with the original cast?
Jennie: No, Aaron [Spelling] wasn't well for many years and that just wasn't a priority. And I think it was too soon. I would rather come back when we're all older - like, "who's got a walker? Who's on dialysis?" We did a sit around a kibbutz show but that was lame - I didn't speak during the whole thing.

PW: Was it weird for you to once again be playing Kelly Taylor and sharing scenes with Shannen Doherty in the halls of West Beverly?
Jennie: It was crazy because we did that Entertainment Weekly cover and I hadn't seen the woman for 15 years! It's like, "Hi, let's do a photo shoot! How are we? Do we like each other? Are you nice? Am I nice?" That took some feeling out. I wasn't so much nervous that we wouldn't get along, I was just nervous about the initial reunion because I don't like hand to hand combat.

PW: But to the fans, it seems to be working quite smoothly. Is that accurate?
Jennie: Yeah, we came to the place where we both acknowledged that we're in different places in our lives. Elementally speaking we're very different people with different interests, which is great, but at the same time we're very alike, too. So as much as I want to be Shannen's BFF, in real life it's a comfortable friendship. We work together but give one another space - neither of us are trying to force anything.

PW: I love that you've infused Kelly and Brenda with the same mentality - they're not squabbling over boys, or clothes - it's a more mature relationship.
Jennie: Exactly. Shannen and I didn't want to do the same old thing, but we're tapping into the reality of the character's history and having a dialogue about not going to that place. They're different now and more mature and have to figure out a way to be friends without going down the same boring roads. I think that's what women do when they're older - discuss where they've come from and how they got there instead of repeating the same old patterns.

PW: As a married woman with three kids, what's it like playing Kelly now that you're in a such different life place personally?
Jennie: Somehow I feel so much more centered and womanly - my life is so much different than it was then. It's much fuller and more bountiful and I just realized that the magazine covers and the work was all I had then. So I'm in the same place but such a different person - it's a really cool opportunity to be given. To say, "Wow, look how far I've come."

PW: Since you've been through this already, do you find yourself passing on advice to your younger co-stars who are, for the most part, experiencing fame for the first time?
Jennie: You know, I do have a wealth of advice and encouragement to give but I'm the kind of person who doesn't dole that out unless the door's been opened. I don't work with the younger girls a lot besides Jessica [Stroup, who plays Kelly's sister Erin] and she's lovely. Such a great actress and I enjoy working with her so much, but I do see her eat so I don't think, "Oooh, I need to step in." I'm not her best friend, I'm not her mom, I'm not her boss - and until that door is opened I'm not going to say, "Lemme tell you what I think."

PW: Tori Spelling has written two advice books. Can you ever see yourself doing something similar?
Jennie: I'm not a great writer - although it's not like you need to be anymore to put a book out. I'm one of those people who will chat and chat and chat with you for hours because I just like to talk and share and get knowledge from other woman. I think I'd have a lot to say, but I'm not there yet. But I am working on a children's book - my father passed away in March and he was working on these books so my mom and I have taken over for him. So that's my only book endeavor for now.

PW: It sounds like you'd happily walk away from Hollywood if it meant spending more time with your family. Is that fair to say?
Jennie: I absolutely would because I have so much else in my life. Aside from my family - which is my first priority - the next thing I do with the majority of my time is charity work and lending my name to organizations that need awareness. I haven't worked this long to become an A-List movie star - that's just not my goal. I've worked this long and hard to be involved with things that inspire me. I want to use my name to make a difference. I could care less about being on all the covers or being on a top 5 show - those things used to matter to me but I didn't feel good about myself when those were my priorities. Having a life that's fruitful and rewarding in so many ways has brought everything into perspective.

PW: But it must feel good to have people love having you on TV, right?
Jennie: I'm lucky - 100 percent of the time fans thank me for coming back. I've never gotten a negative comment like, "you suck! Why are you back?" People feel like there's a connection - they have a Kelly, Brenda, Dylan jonesing and need their fix.

PW: Looking back on the original - what stands out for you?
Jennie: I don't know if it's good iconic, but [the clothes] represented an era. The bike shorts with leggings underneath and patent leather loafers - not a great look. It's scary but I just saw a photo of myself with Gabe Sachs ["90210" executive producer] and Rob Estes ["90210's" Harry] in a wedding together like, 20 years ago, and we looked ridiculous. Those clothes were happening real life, people were wearing them. But maybe in 20 more years I'll look back at these clothes and think, "Ew, tailored skirts and high-waisted belts? Ugh!"

http://blogs.nypost.com/popwrap/archives/2008/11/jennie_garth_in.html
dearprudence

Jennie talks to NYP

Postby marianne16 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:47 am

think you for that interview!
marianne16
Shannen Fanatic

Jennie talks to NYP

Postby ferociouskitty » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:00 am

interesting interview. I was kinda surprised to hear that Jennie and her husband came up witht he whole idea of a guidence counsellor and having a son. Thanks for sharing!
ferociouskitty

Jennie talks to NYP

Postby shannen90210prue » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:10 am

Thanks for sharing!! Image
shannen90210prue

Jennie talks to NYP

Postby digitalghost » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:29 am

thanks for that...she's so cool,i just love her
digitalghost

Jennie talks to NYP

Postby littlemissbad » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:03 pm

thanks huni, for sharing. i like jennie. xoox Image
littlemissbad

Jennie talks to NYP

Postby Sarah-Lucy » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:39 pm

thanks for sharing. i still think shannen is more complimentary about jenny in interviews than she is. jenny has said mean things about shannen before but as this is all in the past it must have been very nerve racking for poor shannen meeting up with ms jenny garth again. Image
Sarah-Lucy

Jennie talks to NYP

Postby littlemissbad » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:04 pm

^^ oh i totally agree.

i think shannen is just a nicer person than jennie. evan though i do like jennie. i like shannen much much more Image

xoox Image
littlemissbad

Jennie talks to NYP

Postby shannenfallenangel » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:59 pm

Well I don't want to say anything too negative about her on here in case Shannen was to read it, but I just really don't like Jennie too much. She seems quite fake and often not that nice about Shannen.

shannenfallenangel

Next

Return to Beverly Hills 90210 2.0