[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Shannen-Doherty.net • View topic - '90210' Creators Demote Lucille Bluth (Grandma)

'90210' Creators Demote Lucille Bluth (Grandma)

Talk here about the second version of 90210

Postby dearprudence » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:00 pm

The Beverly Hills, 90210 franchise has historically not been kind to the elder relatives of its nubile teens, which is why we were a little confused when producers of the new 90210 reboot announced that they'd be casting not just parents but a grandmother. Would there really be room on the show for a regular over sixty, we wondered? Then, they hired Jessica Walter for the role and announced she'd essentially be reprising her Lucille Bluth character from Arrested Development, and suddenly all the Shannens and Jennies in the world paled in comparison. Sadly, EW's Michael Ausiello says that Walter's contract has now been slashed:

A 90210 insider says while it's true that Walter's contract option was not picked up for the second half of the season, the Arrested Development grande dame has agreed to appear on a recurring basis, her schedule permitting.

"Fans have not seen the last of Tabitha," assures executive producer Gabe Sachs. "We love Jessica."

According to my moles, the decision to take Walter off contract was made purely for financial reasons. As the show continues to evolve, it didn't make sense to, as one 90210 insider puts it, "pay her all that money to utter two funny lines an episode."

Instead, 90210 will continue to invest in headline-grabbing vets like Shannen Doherty, as well as characters that drive story, such as Jessica Lowndes' Adrianna (who was just made a series regular).

The idea that Jessica Walter might not be 90210's most valuable asset? We don't understand the question, and we won't respond to it. Reluctantly, we must drag BluthWatch '08 back out of the mothballs (and without so much as an Arrested Development movie to provide Walter with a soft landing!). Surely the producers could have found ways to incorporate Tabitha into the high school storylines — after all, aren't cougars hot right now? Perhaps we'd finally become invested in the terminally bland West Bev hunk "Ethan" if he suddenly started showing up under Tabitha's caftans. 90210 writers, consider that one a freebie.
Last edited by dearprudence on Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dearprudence
Very Important Shannen Fan

Postby thefifthsister » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:54 pm

I can see why they'd do it, she doesn't really need to appear in every episode but I do love Tabitha for a good laugh Image

*hugs*

xoxoxo Image
thefifthsister

Postby jewels313 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:08 am

jewels313

Postby shannen90210prue » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:02 am

Oh no! she is so good!! Image
shannen90210prue

Postby dearprudence » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:22 am

To be frank, I liked grandma but I think it's a good move on their part by axeing her character. Grandma didn't really fit in. She was known for her one-liners, mostly. What we need is more depth into the other characters. Anyways, grandma will be back. We just won't see her as much. The whole point of creating a new series is to see what works and what doesn't work.
dearprudence

Postby dearprudence » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:26 am

See below.....

Michael Ausiello of Entertainment Weekly wrote yesterday that Jessica Walter, the alcohol-damaged grandmother on the CW's "90210," has been "dropped as a series regular" and that her "contract option was not picked up for the second half of the season." Insiders told him so!

On Oct. 8, we met up with Jessica Walter, best known to the kids today as the acerbic matriarch on "Arrested Development," at her Upper West Side Manhattan apartment, shortly before she went out west to shoot an episode of "90210." (She would be shooting a karaoke scene! Oh, boy.)

By then, a couple of weeks had already passed since she and the producers hadn't re-upped the contract for her as a series regular. She will be recurring, which is what she wants, she said.

"I'm just recurring on '90210,' not a regular," she said. "I come in, drop a glass and goodbye. Actually she" -- drunk grandma Tabitha Wilson -- "hasn't dropped a glass yet! And I recur on 'Saving Grace' too, as Holly Hunter's mother. So it's sort of ideal because I'm bicoastal and, of course, I'm available for other things because I'm not committed on the show. When you're recurring, you're not exclusive."

The show is shooting Episode 10 now, and Walter has three more to shoot under her current contract. (Episode 11 begins shooting Tuesday.) And the episodes she may or may not be in for the rest of the season don't start filming until March.

"It's just an agreement," Walter said of her relationship with the show's producers. "It's been very nice for me these past few."

She noted that she is rarely a figure of gossip, trade or otherwise.

"I'm so not fodder for the tabloids. I don't know if I've even been mentioned in the tabloids," she said.

Well, you're getting closer!
dearprudence

Postby shannenfallenangel » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:03 pm

The granny is so funny, but shouldn't be in every episode.

shannenfallenangel

Postby lovecharmed16 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:36 pm

She's funny but I think its good that they have her still as a recurring character.
lovecharmed16
Major Shannen fan

Postby ferociouskitty » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:33 am

yea it's kinda pointless to have her as a regular when she has next to no parts but she is definitely an enjoyable character. jessica definite;y does her character justice.
ferociouskitty

Return to Beverly Hills 90210 2.0