Was Shannen Naïve In Trying to Push Charmed As Art Grade?

Come here to discuss Charmed's Prue Halliwell and the other characters of the hit show. Sound inviting?

Was Shannen Naïve In Trying to Push Charmed As Art Grade?

Postby EvaWolves » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:54 am

Not sure if this is the right section so mods feel free to move it to where you see fit.

As the story behind the set is now revealed about heated arguments Shannen had with Brad Kern and writers other than Constance (though Shannen herself even interfered with some of the cringey writing of the Constance period). And esp considering Shannen did direct impact into the filming process like choreographing Piper's dance moves, even directing some episodes herself (thank God she did because many season 3 episodes were full of utter bollocks!).............

The new stuff being revealed about the making of Chamed as seen by the Brian Krause interview I posted weeks ago that a lot of the "problems" Shannen had on set like the feud with Alyssa and her dating with Julian interfering with studio schedule and adding fire to her grudge against Alyssa are wayyyy overblown.

Instead it now seems much of the issues was going into heated scuffling with Brad Kern and some of the non-actors involved esp writers (in particular those who were sucking up to Kern and following his vision).

I can tell at just how far better her directed episodes were compared to the run-of-the-mill Monster of the Week episodes esp later in the Paige era that Shannen genuinely was passionate about the project!

That said I think it lead to her downfall esp since even beloved BFF HMC was getting into heated situations with Shannen and even admitted in recent video interviews Shannen hurt her personally in her demands to keep high professionalism (such as criticizing for doing hard acted scenes too poorly, etc)........... While the Alyssa feud was really thrown into nonsense tabloid by the media, she really get a bit upset at how carefree and playful Alyssa was on the set.

Still considering how ****ng terrible pre-2000s TV and how even stuff that was groundbreaking and reached cinema standards during the 90s like Xena, early X Files, and the first two seasons of TNG are so damn cringey today.............. I can't help but feel Shannen was a bit naïve in her expectations in Charmed and put so much passion into it that she not only was booted off the show because of it but she even got burned out and hated Charmed by the time she left. Literally there's an article where she says she was glad she was kicked off the show because she was fed up of "acting in a little girls' show" (my misquote).

What do you think? I get Shannen wanting to make the series be deemed as artistic but honestly at the time artistic quality was still low and TV was a teen who just entered high school and was struggling to graduate to adulthood to a college. Stuff was already becoming good, even better than B movies and mass paperback dime novels, but it was still hardly good enough to compete with legitimately highly praised movies and novels by critic nevermind classics like Gone With the Wind.

Your thoughts?
EvaWolves
New Shannen Fan

Return to Prue Halliwell